View My Stats

Friday 1 June 2007

Pen Is Mightier than the Sword

I wanted to take sometime to reflect upon the above statement and its increasing relevance to today’s busy world

Life today , specially that of the software folks ( pardon me for using the word and I am one among them) have a fictious belief that e-mail is all that it takes to convey the real expression/real feelings/emotions…

I beg to be different… The Power of writing a simple personalized letter could make a world of difference to the person at the receiving end… There are many villages in India where an email cannot penetrate irrespective of the Technological Advancement… Conversely even the remotest of the village has a postman who could deliver the letter and could also decipher the content to the intended recipient in his native tongue and make it a memorable day.. Have you had such experiences??? I was lucky to have them for more than half a decade.. They were pleasant souvenirs.

When I stepped in to my first year of Engg, I had to forcefully accommodate myself at the outskirts of Chennai and that was a nostalgic feeling considering the fact I was with my parents together for 18 Long Years.

We neither had a Telephone nor were we comfortable to the advanced world of computing… I believe it was a blessing in disguise.

My father used to write a letter every week and I used to long for each Monday to receive the loving letter. I used to update my day-to-day events/thoughts and post a letter back every Friday evening. Both of us realized the increasing need to communicate and we made sure to exhaust the entire space to record the inspiring thoughts/heartfelt emotions and action plans ahead.

It was like talking to each other face to face with an open heart and those were years that turned our relationship from the typical Father –Son relationship to one of the dream Friendship….. My friends used to ridicule that I and my father was creating job for the Postman…. but we only knew the value of those writings. I still hold on all my Letters that my father has written me and whenever, I feel low, I take some time to open his letters and it creates a different space of liveliness, cheerfulness and Inspiring fulfillness.

Even today, the best gift I cherish to my near and dear ones are my personalized Letters /Cards that will make them smile big whenever they open it up… and everyone to whom I have given always told me that they have kept it with themselves….
I would continue this legacy with my son and make the fraternity realize how this pen can make you win hearts/create a lasting and rewarding relationship…

I personally thank you for having spent some time to go through my article…… Anticipate all your thoughts/inputs and suggestions……

Warm Regards
Suresh Gp

2 comments:

Anand said...

Very touching.
Indeed writing letters has become a dying art today.
But today, where letters do not go, the telephone does. And it has become a tendency to 'call-up' rather than send a snail mail and wait.
May be it is just the signs of the changing times.....
But yes It is definitely a very good thing to receive a personalized note or greeting on a special occassion.

Nice to see your new blog.
Keep posting!

Purnima said...

Hi Suresh,
I still cherish the letters you gave me one for my birthday n one on my farewell....
I also read them once in a while n rem the beautiful friendship we shared daily in that cubicle in patni.

I agree Pen has more power.

Cheers,
Purnima

Popular Posts